" An Idea is salvation by Imagination"

Arch@Ease Architects
Shopping Cart
Shopping Cart (0)

Getting municipal approval for a new construction or renovation project may seem daunting at first, especially when you don’t know where to start.

After drawing up the plans with a professional, SACAP-registered architect or draughtsman, the plans need to be submitted for approval at your local municipality. It is a common misconception that smaller construction plans such as renovations or extensions do not need approval, but the reality is that any additions or alterations to an existing structure have to be authorized by the local authority.

Any building work done without the relevant approval can legally be halted or even authorized for demolition by a building inspector. In addition, fines could also be imposed if construction work has begun without approval.

Not obtaining municipal building plans approval can be an unnecessary, costly mistake. Arch@Ease is here to facilitate the whole approval process on behalf of our clients.  

Which Documents Will You Need For The Building Plans Submission?

Building plans approval application.

South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) registration form.

A copy of the property’s title deed.

Power of Attorney for your architect or draughtsman to submit your building plans for you.

The Surveyor General diagram, along with a zoning certificate, contour map, and an aerial view of the property.

Depending On The Scale And Nature Of Your Project, You Will Also Need To Submit These:

Stamps from the relevant authorities. These could include the fire department and environmental health authority.

An Engineer Certificate of Appointment/Completion.

  Permission from the Body Corporate or Aesthetics Committee.

  Official building line relaxation permission or rezoning consent from a town planning authority.

  An approved and updated Site Development Plan.

  Your home’s energy efficiency calculations, along with the lighting layout.

  Your property’s water and sanitation layout.

  If you’re renovating or extending a home built before 1951, you will also need a heritage approval stamp from the council.   

The approval process does take time, so it’s vital to take this into account in planning your building project timeline.